In 2010 I did an Internship at Thames Valley University London [now UWL] which lead to a placement within the UK’s largest pay-TV broadcaster British Sky Broadcasting [BSkyB]. Sky has over 10 million customers and specialise in making technology simple whilst putting viewers in control.
I was placed within The Innovations Team within R&D whereby I took part on an internal Project called StatusBoard. StatusBoard is a Chrome Browser project that is displayed on a 50 inch TV screen within the office.
Creating the Front-End of Statusboard allowed me to pick up my primary skills of HTML 5, CSS 3 and use of JQuery Libraries. Information is displayed on StatusBoard for communication purposes within the team.
Front-End Elements of StatusBoard:
- Calendar: JQuery library with animated tab transitions using JQuery. Pulls in data from Google Mail on the back end.
- News: HTML 5 Video streamed live from Sky news website.
- Where is everyone: FourSquare Check in’s where the team can notify the office if they are running late. Also which members are in the other building today.
- Build Monitor: Flags read when a build has been broken.
- Activity Stream: Facebook and Twitter status updates are pulled in using CSS 3 transitions.
- Transport: At 5pm every day the train times would appear with a CSS 3 transition with sound.
- Alarm: Working within an Agile team, daily stand up’s took place to keep track of developments. At 9.30am the alarm would appear across the screen accompanied with sound.
Client: Internship at Sky – BSkyB
Project: HTML 5, CSS 3, JQuery, Photoshop.
URL: Internal Project